Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Everyone Lies

It's true.  Little white lies, big obvious lies, lies of omission...we all do it or have done it.  Some are good liars, some not so much.  I'm not advocating it, but it is what it is.  Human nature.

I was an excellent liar when I was a teenager.  I think my high school friends (who better be following this blog by now) would agree - I was a quick and skillful liar and rarely got caught.  (My husband was disturbed to hear this when we met.  I promised him I would never lie to him and I have kept my word.  Or have I?  Muahahaha!)

I have come to realize that the apple has fallen far from the tree when it comes to my 16yr old son.  I should probably be grateful for that, or maybe just chalk it up to kids being brain damaged until they are well into their twenties.

Anecdotal evidence:  Today is a half day for the local high schools as the kids are taking PSATs.  I texted my son this morning and asked him to please call or text me as soon as he gets out of school and let me know what his plans were.  I didn't hear from him so around 1pm I called him.  Here's how the conversation went:

Me:  Hey boy.  What time did you get out of school?

Him:  Around 11am.

Me:  Why didn't you text me.  I sent you a message this morning asking you to text me right after school.

Him:  Really?  I never got your message.  Plus, I told you last night what I was doing after school.

Me:  **silence for several seconds**

Him:  (laughing) Oh. Umm.  I just forgot to text you.  Sorry.

Brain damaged or stupid?  You be the judge.

3 comments:

  1. He was powerless against the silence technique. That's good. It's not your first time at the rodeo, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not hardly, but since he is my practice child I will have all this perfected by the time the girls are teens. Maybe I'll write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told a couple of guys this story and neither one of them got the fact that if my son had not gotten my text as he claimed, he wouldn't have known I was asking about his after school plans. Maybe this is a guy thing and not so much a brain damage thing or a stupid thing?

    ReplyDelete